12 November 2018

the moon looks like a toenail



"I watched the sunset like a movie tonight. 
Just me, on the beach, on a log, the ocean to my back because the real show was opposite her. 
The moon looks like a toenail. 
I think that might be my favourite kind of moon phase. 
I watched the red and orange and dark grey clouds merge and meld into something so beautiful. 
I watched people from all walks of life stroll by. 
A sweet family, baby asleep in the carrier on her mama’s back, a little boy, who I can only presume is big brother, trailing behind and trying to climb down the rocks to the beach. 
A young couple, holding hands as one of their dogs, a golden retriever jaunts ahead of them and the other, an old mutt, happily lags behind. 
Folks greeting, “hello” with each person they pass, a quick connection between two strangers. 
Happy dogs, their warm breath visible in the air, running, playing, sniffing each other’s behinds. 
I keep forgetting that we’re nearing winter now, keep forgetting that the seasons are changing and temperatures are dropping. 
The cold seemed to have creeped in so suddenly. 
There’s a bite in the air now. 
Tonight I set out in only a sweater, nothing but a thin pair of leggings between me and the frozen log on which I sat.
Ears burning in the cold breeze, I made a mental note to pack gloves and a toque in my bag for next time. 
I stayed long past freezing because I just couldn’t peel myself away from the beautiful show happening before me."


No comments:

Post a Comment